We realize that the leaving your child in the hands of people you may not know can be daunting. The camp founders and current director are also parents and we understand the concerns parents will have about a camp. Safety has many facets. We describe the various safety measures and precautions we will take in detailed information sent to camp families prior to the start of camp. You are always welcome to contact us to discuss any concerns you have regarding safety at the camp.
Staff Screening and Practices
- Adult staff members and volunteers must clear a criminal background check. Mission Blue Camp currently utilizes GoodHire.com, an FCRA compliant vendor.
- Staff policy requires that staff are not to be alone with any child in private locations like bathrooms, pool changing rooms; a second staff member must be present.
- We will always have a minimum of 2 staff members present on hikes.
- A camp manager will supervise pool attendance along with at least one other male and female staff member.
- Most of our instructors are school teachers who are additionally screened by their schools.
- Active Exploration instructors are First Aid and CPR certified.
- The camp has first aid kits at manager's desk, kitchen and staff room. All staff using the blacktop or field will also have a first aid kit with them.
- Camp coordinators and staff will review health issues for every child in the camp at the at the start of the camp.
- All staff members will have emergency contact numbers for the police and fire department.
- When at the pool, the City of Brisbane has certified lifeguards monitoring the pool. As support staff, we have at least five camp managers and/ or leaders at the pool to assist in monitoring and caring for the children. We will always have at least one male and one female staff member present during pool rec time.
- Staff leading hikes are able to recognize poison oak (as well as other dangers) on San Bruno Mountain and will take precautions to teach campers to identify and avoid contact with harmful plants and animals.
- Kids will be taught to check for ticks after being on the mountain.
- We will ensure dogs walked in public areas like Lipman Field are leashed by their owners. We will take measures against owners with dogs off leash, starting with a polite request and escalating to a call to Brisbane Police.
- The Brisbane Police Department will be aware of the camp and will be asked to increase patrols during camp hours.
- At the start of camp, safety measures will be reviewed with the kids.
- Campers will be reminded throughout the day to re-apply sunscreen and stay hydrated.
- Kids will be instructed to talk to their parents as well as tell another staff member if they feel a fellow camper or staff member has done anything to make them feel uncomfortable. Our Camp Director is always available in person, via email or on the phone to discuss any concerns.
Additional Safety Info
Campers are notified prior to camp of additional safety information including manager contact numbers and detailed information regarding:
First Aid, Dehydration and Heat Related Problems, Poison Oak, Concussions, Camper Behavior and Conditions and Pool Safety Practices.
Our camper safety rules and policies are:
Activity and Photo Waivers
The following details our Activity and Photo Waivers. These forms must be submitted electronically or in writing prior to the start of camp. You will be asked to submit these waivers when you register via Active.